Creativity with Scarcity

The past few days have forced me to milk the little time that I have for art. I decided to challenge myself and see how long it would take me from zero to full fledged piece of art, ready to be shared to world.

To share a song in the internet world, the very basic things you need would be the audio master, and cover art to go with it. I took out my iPhone, pressed the start button, and proceeded to go to my Korg Electribe to start making a track. I wanted to time it to see how long it actually takes.

Composing

I wanted to see what an Electribe can do for rock grooves or “rock idioms” as I would call it. So immediately I was up and running with some basic rock drums. I quickly selected a kick and snare and set the tempo to 170. Immediately I was off and running! Some punky rhythm to start with.

After that I decided to do a bass line, taking a bass sound from one of the samples found in the Electribe. (Here was another challenge, I would confine myself to the sounds of the Electribe and will only customize it when I finish the first batch of 250 patterns) I did not want to get bogged down by the act of endlessly looking for the best damn bass sound. I needed to decide right there and then, and decide quickly. Moment I found it I switched on the keyboard mode and start making basic melodies.

Korg Electribe Sampler – A standalone groovebox

Next up I went for the lead riff and was going for some guitar sounds but got derailed and I ended up picking this weird sounding synth. Ok, I’ll accept it, it sounds alright to me. Whats important is I was moving forward and I was still liking the track somehow and grooving to it.

On and on I put one layer after the other until I went for this vocal chop “go”. This was when I thought “ok its time to dial back and go for the break down of the track. Lets bring this baby home.” I sequenced an alternative pattern to serve as the “B” section and ended the composing there.

Recording

So with that, I had the elements I needed to make an arrangement that I could perform and record with the Zoom H1. I will take the stereo out of the Electribe and plug this to the line-in of the Zoom H1. I recorded the whole thing in one take, trusting my gut, trusting that my intentions will bring me to the end result – a finished track that sums up my day.

I hit record and press play on my Electribe. Im up and running at 170 bpm. A pretty frantic pace for some electronic “rock” music. I start going through the patterns and went for some improvised pitch shifts and drums. Some off timing some choked by the note stealing limitation of the sampler. Still I push on, and go into the next pattern of the song and I finally arrive at the GO part which I know will lead me to the “turn around” of the song.

At this point, I’m not thinking of much – I’m just focused on the music and what will happen next. I know that the record button is on and everything is getting captured. With this in mind, I also try to stay in the spirit of the music and just keep on going. I try not to get derailed by imperfections, and get bogged down by mistakes.

And finally I find myself “heading home”. I’m now in the patterns that will bring me back to the beginning of my track, to end the instrumental. This is electronic music.. but with a human element. Live arranging, live jamming, “DAWLESS” so to speak. Just me and the machine.

The final sequences of the drums come in and all is well. A mistake here and there but its okay. I hit the stop button, and boom another track made. I looked at the time and I had just spent 45 minutes. Not bad! This is a song from scratch!

Mastering

I proceed to fire up my laptop and open up Ableton Live. I transfer the track from the H1 via usb and proceed to setting up my mastering session. I had recently built my little humble mastering chain (which I can talk about in the future) and start fiddling with parameters. I also do some gain staging to make sure that the plug-ins are all in the sweet spot. Another 30 minutes go by and I finally finish the track! Ready for uploading, ready (or not) for sharing.

Cover Art

I feel the slight fatigue but I push on. I open up GIMP and start working on the artwork. I wanted to keep it simple. I saw a crack on my bedroom wall and decided right there and then that it could be part of the artwork. I took a picture with my trusty X-A10 and upload the picture to my laptop. With GIMP I proceed to make the artwork and since I’m such a beginner with the software I ended up spending a RIDICULOUS amount of time trouble shooting! It was not a very pleasant experience but I finally figured it out.. So many errors but it’s okay – I learned.

Spontaneous usage of details in your environment

Conclusion

So the total time I spend to make this project was 2 hours and 46 minutes. Not bad if you think about it. For sure this can still be streamlined and fine-tuned. It was just great knowing that I could come up something complete in that time-span.

I wanted to include the uploading to the platforms in the process but it was simply too late. I did not want to end up sleeping at 5am.

Overall it was a well spent 2 hours and 46 minutes. It will not go to waste as long as I upload it and share it as well. It’s interesting to know that if I have a 3 hour time block, I can come up with something. On a side note, the best place for your music is a place where someone can discover it and listen to it. No way will it ever be heard in your hard drive.

So here it is, a quick rock based electronic music jam. I would say its like an encapsulated record of my day presented in a sequence of sounds. Let me know what you guys think.

One thought on “Creativity with Scarcity

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *